SLC Chemistry 3A/3AL Services:
The SLC offers three services for students in Chem 3A/3AL this semester: Drop-in Tutoring (for Chem 3A/3AL), and Study Groups and Mock Exams (for Chem 3A only).
Open the appropriate links below to find out more about each of these services.
Current SLC Announcements for Chem 3A Students:
Update: All of the SLC's Chem 3A study groups have room for additional students. See the schedule below.
- Update: This week's SLC Drop-in Tutoring Schedule is posted here:
SLC Study Groups - Description
Study Groups meet 2 hours a day, twice each week. In groups, a study group leader coaches the group by reviewing course material, answering questions, working examples to illustrate course concepts, providing worksheets for students to work on together, and helping students develop effective study strategies.
How to Join:
- The initial sign-up period for study groups has passed and group assignments have been posted. (Students have been emailed their individual assignments.)
- As long as you attend the group you were assigned to, you are guaranteed to be in a study group.
- At this point, if you want to switch to a different study group or join one you were not placed in, just attend any study group below that is not marked as Full. Be sure to sign the attendance sheet when you attend and you should be added to the study group. As long as the group does not exceed the capacity of the room, you will be allowed to join.
- If a group is full, then students will be required to attend the study group at least once a week to avoid being dropped from the group.
SLC Chem 3A Study Group Schedule
|MW 10am-noon||Lauren C||102 Wurster||
Open to new students.
|MW 1-3pm||Chris L||113 Chavez||Open to new students.|
|MW 3-5pm||Maya K||113 Chavez||Open to new students.|
|MW 6-8pm||Chris Y||
Open to new students.
|TuTh 4-6pm||Jacky H||113 Chavez||Open to new students.|
|TuTh 7-9pm||Joseph M||205 Dwinelle||Open to new students.|
Drop-in Tutoring for Chem 3A/3AL
|SLC Chem 3A/3AL Drop-in Tutoring Hours:||
|Location:||Science Drop-in Tutoring Area on the 2nd floor of the Chávez Student Center.|
The SLC provides Drop-in tutoring for all students in Chem 3A and 3AL. Students can come in and talk to a tutor on a first-come, first served basis. The tutors work with students individually or sometimes in small groups, and can answer questions about lectures, course texts, homework problems, sample exams and labs.
How to Sign Up:
No prior signing-up is required. Just come to the Science Drop-in Tutoring Area on 2nd floor Chávez during an open hour for your class. Be sure to sign-in at the Drop-in computer when you arrive and then go have a seat at the "General Chemistry" tutoring tables.
Students and tutors working together on Organic Chemistry in the SLC Science Drop-in Tutoring Area.
Mock Exams occur the weekend before each midterm or final in the course and are typically three hours long. At a Mock Exam, students will be given a practice exam written by the SLC and about an hour to work on it like it was a real exam. Then, tutors will go over the Mock Exam with an emphasis on providing tips on how to approach the real midterm or final.
Mock Exams are designed to assist students in self-assessing their comprehension of the course material and problem solving skills. Answers to Mock Exams are not printed or posted.
How to Sign Up
No prior signing up to attend Mock Exams is required and any student may attend any exam. The schedule of each Mock Exam will always be posted here and also typically through the actual lecture.
Schedule of Mock Exams
|Mock Exam for:||Time and Location:|
|Midterm #1:||Saturday, Sept 30 from 10am-1pm in 100 GPB.|
|Midterm #2:||Still being Scheduled|
Still being Scheduled
An SLC study group leader presenting at an SLC Chemistry 3A Mock Exam.