By actively engaging students in the learning process, drop-in services support Cal undergraduates in enhancing their understanding of science coursework. By collaborating with each other and peer tutors who have successfully completed the class, students clarify concepts, hone their problem-solving skills, and bolster their confidence with the material. We welcome any and all questions related to course lectures and texts, labs, homework problems, and practice exams. In drop-in, students will foster connections not only with science concepts, but with a supportive community in which they can thrive as learners.
Drop-in support is available for the following courses:
- Biology 1A/1AL
- Chemistry 1A/1AL, 3A/3AL, 3B/3BL, 32
- Molecular & Cell Biology 102
- Physics 8A, 8B
Please note that service offerings may vary by semester.
Fall 2021 services begin Tuesday, September 7th.
General service hours during the regular academic year are 10AM-4PM (PT) Monday through Thursday, and Friday 10AM-2PM (PT), beginning the third week of instruction. Hours may vary during Summer Sessions. To view course-specific schedules, please visit our live weekly drop-in schedule.
How to Visit Drop-in
Services are offered remotely via Zoom and in-person on the second floor of Cesár Chávez Student Center. No prior sign-up is required! To attend a drop-in session, complete the following steps:
- Visit the live weekly drop-in schedule. Click on the tab corresponding to your course to see available service hours.
- Note the service mode for your selected time, which is indicated in parenthesis next to each tutor's name. Virtual offerings are indicated by (V) and in-person offerings are indicated by (IP).
- For virtual sessions, fill out the drop-in sign-in form. On the confirmation page, you will see a Zoom meeting link. Click the link to join the virtual drop-in space. The drop-in ambassador wil greet you and assign you to a breakout room for your specific course.
- For in-person sessions, visit the second floor of Chávez Student Center. Once you arrive, sign in on the computer at the drop-in entrance. The drop-in ambassador will greet you and guide you to the appropriate seating area for your course.