- Tips for Success in your First Lower Division Math/Stat Class
- Statistics 134 Ch. 2 Worksheet
- Statistics 134 Ch. 1 Worksheet
- Errata Sheet for Pitman's Probability
Note: The Field Studies Program is not being offered in the Spring 2019 Semester.
The SLC Math and Statistics Field Studies Program introduces students to current issues in higher education while helping them develop collaborative and active learning skills, facilitation, and communication skills. Through arrangements with academic departments, we offer the following options for students to complete their major/minor requirements:
Education 97/197: This option is best for students completing or considering a Minor in Education.
Departmental 300-Series: This option may be best for students intending to pursue teaching within their discipline.
- Students can enroll in the Field Studies seminar either through the Math department or the Education department. Math 301 is a 2-unit course. Education 97/197, which can be taken for 2 or 3 units, can be used toward satisfaction of the Education Minor.
- Field Studies candidates must have completed first-year calculus; priority is given to those who have completed or are currently taking Math 53, Math 54, Math 55, or Statistics at UC Berkeley. Students who have completed the Math 10 series at UC Berkeley are also eligible to apply for Field Studies.
- Field Studies participants are required to a attend weekly peer pedagogy seminar and complete all reading, reflection, and practicum assignments. Participants will learn collaborative learning techniques and discuss contemporary issues affecting math and statistics education.
- Field Studies practicum includes observing drop-in tutoring, shadowing advanced tutors in the group formats, and practicing facilitating one-on-one and/or small-group collaborative learning sessions.
- The training curriculum and course requirements are identical whether taking the course through Math or Education.
Fall 2018 Field Studies Course Schedule
|Thursday||9:30 AM - 11 AM||151 Chavez|
|Friday||2:00 PM - 3:30 PM||151 Chavez|
Both sections begin the 1st week of instruction. Contact Michael Wong (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.