Thank you for your interest in joining the SLC Social Science Program! Please expand below to explore opportunities available and submit an application to join us today.
Social Science Tutoring Specifics
We are now accepting Study Group Facilitator applications for Spring 2021!
Qualifications, Requirements, and Responsibilities
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- No more than two “Incomplete” grades
- Not on academic probation
- Completion of the course you seek to support with at least a B (COVID-19 and Spring 2020 grading statement below)
- Satisfactory completion of application
- Passion for social science and the learning process
- Desire to grow as a social scientist and budding professional
- Strong interest in collaborative learning models
- Strong interest in serving the social science learning community at Cal
- Willingness to engage in reflective practice
- Experience working with peers from diverse backgrounds and learning styles
Program Requirements for Selected Candidates
- Attend weekly seminar, scheduled for new tutors Wednesdays 4-5:30PM
- Commit up to 15 hours per week*
*Note: Students may not be employed by the University more than 50% time during the fall or spring semester in any combination of titles. Students may work up to 100% time during the summer and during the winter break. Moreover, if study group attendance drops below 4 for two consecutive weeks, study group hours will be converted to drop-in hours.
- Attend weekly seminar
- Prepare for weekly seminar
- Attend lecture and prepare for study group
- Facilitate 1-2 study groups for the same course*
- Provide individual and/or group tutoring
- Foster an inclusive and welcoming learning environment
- Perform other tasks as assigned: Event planning/coordination, data entry, workshop preparation & facilitation, work performance conferences, and general program support, as appropriate
Note: If study group attendance drops below 4 for two consecutive weeks, study group hours will be converted to drop-in hours.
* COVID-19 and Spring 2020 Grading Requirement:
Due to the Default P/NP policy that was implemented to ease the burden of the pandemic on students, the SLC Social Science Program is waiving the 'B' letter grade requirement for classes taken in Spring 2020. We will weigh your overall performance on your transcript when considering you for a position. However, please note that receiving a 'NP' grade for the course you wish to tutor may hinder your ability to be considered for the position.
- Study Group Facilitator Application (bMail log-in required)
- Faculty/Advisor Recommendation Form (bMail log-in required)
Application Deadline: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until all tutor positions are filled.