Thank you for your interest in joining the SLC Social Science Program! Please expand below to explore opportunities available and submit an application to join us today.
Social Science Tutoring Specifics
We are now accepting Study Group Facilitator applications for Fall 2019!
Qualifications, Requirements, and Responsibilities
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- No more than two “Incomplete” grades
- Not on academic probation
- Completion of the course you seek to support with at least a B
- Satisfactory completion of application
- Passion for social science and the learning process
- Desire to grow as a social scientist and budding professional
- Strong interest in collaborative learning models
- Strong interest in serving the social science learning community at Cal
- Willingness to engage in reflective practice
- Experience working with peers from diverse backgrounds and learning styles
Program Requirements for Selected Candidates
- Attend weekly seminar, scheduled for Wednesdays 2-4PM
- Commit up to 14.5 hours per week*
*Note: Students may not be employed by the University more than 50% time during the fall or spring semester in any combination of titles. Students may work up to 100% time during the summer and during the winter break. Moreover, if study group attendance drops below 4 for two consecutive weeks, study group hours will be converted to drop-in hours.
- Attend weekly seminar
- Prepare for weekly seminar
- Attend lecture and prepare for study group
- Facilitate 1-2 study groups for the same course*
- Provide individual and/or group tutoring
- Foster an inclusive and welcoming learning environment
- Perform other tasks as assigned: Event planning/coordination, data entry, workshop preparation & facilitation, work performance conferences, and general program support, as appropriate
Note: If study group attendance drops below 4 for two consecutive weeks, study group hours will be converted to drop-in hours.
- Study Group Facilitator Application (bMail log-in required)
- Faculty/Advisor Recommendation Form (bMail log-in required)
Application Deadline: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until all tutor positions are filled. Upcoming review dates are 4/30, 5/3 and 5/6!